Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 1 Evening

The night, for the most part, was pretty quiet. After a relatively long day, all of us were ready to take it easy for the night. We had dinner and relaxed for a while. Before we could call it a night, each of us had chores to do in order to keep the station tidy. I took on the responsibility of vacuuming while the the rest of the crew took on their individual tasks. After that, we all took our spots on the recliners and relaxed as we flipped between the Red Sox game, and Deadliest Catch. It wasn't long before each one of us were ready for bed. I headed into my room to finally get some solid rest.

It only took a few hours before my sleep was interrupted. At around 2 A.M. we received a call about a fire. I awoke to the rest of the crew getting ready, but to be honest, I was a bit lost. I wasn't sure if it was the morning, or we had a call. As I began to recognize the familiar alarm that I had heard earlier that day, I knew we had a call. I quickly tried to wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and got changed. I hopped in the engine with Firefighter Jenkins, and we were off to our call. I was excited for my first fire, and wasn't sure what to expect. Unfortunately, I quickly found out that not all calls are as glorious as one would hope. This early morning call to the fire station was one for smoldering leaves. Needless to say, we were all pretty let down. However, the crew was sure to make light of the situation making jokes about it getting dangerous and out of control, as well as needing back up for the hoses. (We were using the smallest ones available.) We doused the area with water, and headed back to the station. We then refilled the tank inside the truck, and we all headed back to bed. We didn't receive any more calls that night, so I woke up the next morning at 6:45 and had completed my first day. A real sense of accomplishment. I put together my belongings, made my bed, and headed back to Proctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment