Friday, May 21, 2010

Weekly Reflection

Week 2


This week started off with one of the hardest parts of the job. The signal 22 that we received on Monday was something completely new to me. I think it would have hit home for anyone. That type of event is never easy. Even the members of D shift talk about the fact that it takes a conscious effort to not let that sort of call get to you. Part of this comes from the bond that is shared between the crew, which was part of my third goal. They rely on each other to keep going. Whether it be making jestful cracks on one another throughout the day, or just lending a helping hand, each member is there to keep the mood light, and the job enjoyable. I also focused on some of the parts of my first goal this week. I made a point to try and learn as much about each of the trucks this week as well as the equipment they carry. After exploring each one, I’d have to say my favorite is the Rescue Truck. The function is more or less self-explanatory, but the purpose it serves along with the equipment it carries really peaked my curiosity. From the Jaws of Life, to the Swift Water Rescue equipment, this truck has everything you need for every type of rescue. Finally, I also took leaps and bound when it came to my second goal. This week we went over Mega Codes. On Thursday, we went to the dam and practiced hypothetical situations that might arise when responding to an EMS call. Here, the EMTs must work with both real people as well as a dummy. However, this is no ordinary dummy. It is linked to a machine that allows it to give the EMTs the ability to feel for a pulse, insert IVs, and practice intubation. This was helpful beyond measure when it came to my goal of trying to learn how to assess and react to varying types of EMS calls. Lastly, I’ve been getting better at recognizing the special tone for Franklin. Before, each time there was any sort of alarm over the intercom, or radio, I could be seen jumping out of my seat, and heading for my gear. It was the running joke for my first few shifts. Although, I don’t have it down completely, I’m definitely getting better. With one shift left, I’m appreciative for all the Franklin Fire Department has done for me. Taking the time to work me in to their schedule has made the difference in the last few weeks for me here at Proctor. I look forward to my final 24 hours with D shift. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment