Friday, May 14, 2010

Reflection

This week was a success. I was able to work towards my goals and get a better sense of what a career in firefighting includes. I feel that I took a solid step towards achieving my first goal, which was to gain an understanding of what it takes to run a fires department. I was exposed to some of the maintenance work that goes in to keeping the equipment running, as well as the normal everyday chores that firefighters must do to keep their living spaces tidy and functional. I also discovered how calls come in, and are processed. Tones, as they are called, come in and the alarm sounds. The crew will then listen to a description of the tone and asses both the severity of the call, (ranging from Alpha to Echo) and will then take the necessary gear to the scene. For example, my first call was an EMS call. Therefore it made sense for us to grab our gear and take the Ambulance over any other vehicle, such as an Engine. Perhaps the most important step I took was towards my third goal. This goal focused on discovering the intricacies of the environment that exists in a fire house. As unsure as I was at first, it turned out to be the way that I hoped. All of the guys on D shift are easy going, and have a sarcastic sense of humor. Luckily, I enjoy their humor which centers around taking shots at one another in a light hearted manner. The guys are so close that it turns into a brotherhood in which this jesting is more than welcome. This also translates to the teamwork I saw on each and every one of the calls. Each member of the crew does their own part to ensure the success of each call. The members are constantly communicating with one another on how they believe the patient should be assessed, treated, and transported.

On a side note, but one that I felt was of equal importance was the conversation that I had with Jason on our way back from our 2 A.M. call. I mentioned to Jason that on the EMS call we had had first thing in the morning, it didn’t seem like the patient had done anything to help his condition. The situation he had put himself only made his risk higher for further complications. Jason concurred and talked to me about how he saw things much the way I did when he first started, but then saw it so often that he could no longer let it bother him. I had always thought that working this type of job may cause that reaction, but wasn’t sure until I heard him say it. He stressed the importance of remaining objective, and focusing on the task at hand. Saving the patients life, not necessarily evaluating what put them in the current situation.

Once again, the week was a success. I made strides towards all my goals, and was even able to visit the Andover Department in order to get a comparison to Franklin. I hope that my next few shifts go as well as the first one, and if I’m lucky, I’ll be able to get a few more calls this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment